Friday, December 12, 2008

Madge's Vadge Looked at Me


I attended Madonna's first concert ever in Chile. I was only a few feet away from the stage, and as the show went on I couldn't believe how close I was. I could actually see that freaky vein on her arm and her Beverly Hills face. (Seriously, though, she looked very different.) At one point, she looked directly at me, but only for a fraction of a second. Years from now when we remember what an icon she was I'll be able to say "yeah, she looked me in the eye once."

The show was like nothing we'd ever seen around these parts. Sometimes I'd catch everyone standing, unmoving, watching in awe at the display taking place on the stage. The screens, the videos they were playing, the dancers, the outfits, the perfectly synchronized choreographies, the quality of Madonna's voice.

I distinctly remember an eye-catching video of different leaders and villains of the world. The image of starving children will remain in my brain forever. The montage ended with Obama footage, and the stadium went crazy. It was inspiring, and I felt like changing the world. Madonna came out to sing 4 Minutes To Save The World, with Justin dancing in rectangular screens, thus looking real-life sized. and the chorus basically says we only got 4 minutes to save the world. You'd expect the rest of the lyrics to be as motivating, but it's a lot of if you want it you already got it, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. You'd almost expect her to sing liar liar, pants on fire at some point. I don't get what that song is really about. Considering the source, I think it may have something to do with sex. It's great for parties, but not a good follow-up to a video with starving children and Hitler.

Another striking thing about the concert was how much she enjoys touching herself and/or pointing at her crotch while saying, "You can't touch this." Or how she humped an amp, or how she milked one of her dancers' fake cone boob, or how the other dancers would point at her crotch from time to time. Sure, sex and religion made her famous, but she's already fucking MADONNA, man. She's the biggest star in the world. What exactly is she trying to prove? Meh, maybe it's just part of her show. But having watched her entire show up-close I reached the following conclusion:

After 30 years of being a pop star, Madonna is still keen on reminding everyone she has a vagina.

Still, the show was awesome.

1 comment:

Pants said...

I also secretly love Madonna, but I must admit that I find her last three albums to be utter crap, and I really really really wish she would put on some pants.

That being said I'm now off to play "Human Nature", "Like a prayer" and "You'll see", and dance around the room in my underwear.